Can I use Prozac if I am breastfeeding?

Prozac (fluoxetine) is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding. This drug, which is an antidepressant, passes into breast milk. In some cases the drug hasn't affected a nursing baby at all, but in others it's caused adverse reactions such as disturbed sleep, vomiting and watery stools. If you're nursing and your doctor wants to prescribe Prozac, before you start taking it, together you should decide whether the potential benefits to you outweigh the possible risks to your baby.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

What is fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is a prescription drug that is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorde...
What is the right dosage fluoxetine?
The adult dose of fluoxetine depends on the condition, including: • Premenstrual dysphoric disor...
Who should take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is intended for people being treated for depression, panic disorder, obsessive-compul...
How should I take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is available as a tablet, capsule, delayed release capsule, syrup or solution. You should...