If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Prozac?

Although there are no well-controlled studies of Prozac (fluoxetine) in pregnant women, some evidence suggests this drug may increase the risk of birth defects in a developing fetus when taken during the first trimester. And some infants born to women who took Prozac during the third trimester have been found to develop complications such trouble breathing and feeding, which have required hospitalizations. For that reason, you and your doctor should weigh the benefits to you of taking Prozac during pregnancy against the potential risks.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

How long do I take fluoxetine until I begin feeling better?
Although everyone reacts differently, typically, it takes about four to five weeks or longer bef...
Why should I take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is an antidepressant and is used to treat problems affecting mood and mental health. ...
What is fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is a prescription drug that is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorde...
What happens if I stop taking fluoxetine early?
When taking fluoxetine, you need to take it for the full length of time your doctor prescribes i...