Is there a generic version of fluoxetine?

Fluoxetine is the generic ingredient found in several anti-depressant and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Generic fluoxetine is available; the first brand name drug to patent it was Prozac. However, the patent expired and other companies are now producing generic versions of fluoxetine. Fluoxetine may also be mixed with other active ingredients in medications to treat other disorders. Sarafem, which is an identical medication to fluoxetine, has been approved for use in treating premenstrual dysphoric disorder, but Prozac and other generic fluoxetine medications have not.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

What should I know about fluoxetine before taking it?
You should not take fluoxetine if you are allergic to it or to any of its ingredients. Talk to y...
How soon after taking fluoxetine will my symptoms improve?
It sometimes takes a month or more for symptoms to improve when taking fluoxetine, depending on why ...
What happens if I stop taking fluoxetine early?
When taking fluoxetine, you need to take it for the full length of time your doctor prescribes i...
Why should I take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is an antidepressant and is used to treat problems affecting mood and mental health. ...