Is there a generic version of fluoxetine?

Fluoxetine is the generic ingredient found in several anti-depressant and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Generic fluoxetine is available; the first brand name drug to patent it was Prozac. However, the patent expired and other companies are now producing generic versions of fluoxetine. Fluoxetine may also be mixed with other active ingredients in medications to treat other disorders. Sarafem, which is an identical medication to fluoxetine, has been approved for use in treating premenstrual dysphoric disorder, but Prozac and other generic fluoxetine medications have not.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

How does fluoxetine treat panic disorder?
Fluoxetine and other types of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are often prescribed a...
Who should not take fluoxetine?
You should not take fluoxetine if you are allergic to fluoxetine or to any of its other ingredie...
What happens if I stop taking fluoxetine early?
When taking fluoxetine, you need to take it for the full length of time your doctor prescribes i...
What should I avoid while taking fluoxetine?
Avoid taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), St. John's wort, or other drugs that might intera...