Am I at risk for tendon problems if I take norfloxacin?

Norfloxacin (Noroxin) is a fluoroquinolone-type antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections. All drugs in this class of medicines carry a specific warning about the risk of tendonitis - the swelling of the tissue that connects a bone to a muscle - as well as tendon rupture or the separation of the tendon. This can occur in tendons throughout the body, such as the Achilles tendon in the ankle, rotator cuff in the shoulder, and tendons in the hand, biceps, and thumb. Although this can happen to anyone, the risk is higher among people over age 60, and those who may be taking steroids or prednisone for kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and following organ transplantation. Tendonitis can occur while taking the drug, or many months later. Symptoms such as pain, swelling, tenderness, and problems moving should be reported to your doctor. You must seek medical attention immediately.

Continue Learning about Fluoroquinolones

How does Quixin treat bacterial eye infections?
When applied topically to the eye, Quixin treats bacterial eye infections by killing the bacteria th...
What are some side effects of fluoroquinolone antibiotics?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Fluoroquinolones and other antibiotics aren't without side effects. Nausea, vomiting, and stomach pa...