Am I at risk for tendon problems if I take moxifloxacin?

Moxifloxacin (Avelox) is a fluoroquinolone-type antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections. All drugs in this class of medicines, including moxifloxacin carry a specific warning about the risk of tendonitis, the swelling of the tissue that connects a bone to a muscle, and tendon rupture, separation of the tendon. This can occur in tendons throughout the body like the Achilles tendon in the ankle, rotator cuff in your shoulder and tendons in your hand, biceps and thumb.

Although this can happen to anyone, the risk is higher among people over age 60, and those who may be taking steroids or prednisone for kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and following organ transplantation. It can occur while taking the drug or many months later. You may even hear a popping sound if your tendon has ruptured. If you experience any of these symptoms, immobilize the area and don't bear any weight on it.

Symptoms such as pain, swelling, tenderness and problems moving should be reported to your doctor. You must seek medical attention immediately.

Continue Learning about Fluoroquinolones

What are some side effects of fluoroquinolone antibiotics?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Fluoroquinolones and other antibiotics aren't without side effects. Nausea, vomiting, and stomach pa...
How does Quixin treat bacterial eye infections?
When applied topically to the eye, Quixin treats bacterial eye infections by killing the bacteria th...