Will stretching before a game affect my performance?

Static stretching (one form of flexibility) will relax the muscle being stretched and could decrease performance if it is not performed correctly. However, static stretching should be individualized and performed on muscles that are hyperactive or tight and might be inhibiting proper or enhanced movement. A common misconception is that static stretching is the only form of flexibility; it is actually only one of many forms of flexibility, including dynamic stretching. Before a game, use both forms of flexibility together.

Static stretching can be done to inhibit areas that may be limiting proper movement, followed by dynamic stretching, which will raise core temperature, increase movement at the joints, and excite the nervous system (allowing the body to perform better). Flexibility is not all the same. Remember, the body needs balance. When done correctly, stretching can enhance your performance.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Can static stretching make my muscles long and lean?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Long, lean muscles are dependent upon your genetics. Long muscles are due to short tendons (the ...
Are there any other forms of flexibility training besides just stretching?
Yes, self-massage is another form of flexibility that feels much different than stretching. Self-mas...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?