Why should I stretch after an exercise?

You know you should stretch after any exercise, but why? In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Mike Clark explain what actually happens to muscles when we exercise and why stretching after is essential to our health and comfort.

Stretching after exercise helps serve two purposes. It allows you to gradually decrease the intensity of exercise and perform a thorough cool down. This gives your body time to return to its resting state and blood flow to return to all parts of the body. Stretching after a workout also helps to improve pliability and range of motion of muscles which can be become tightened during an intense workout. For the best results combine foam rolling with static stretching. Roll over tight or sore spots for 30 seconds to relieve tension, and hold static stretches for 30 seconds to improve length and range of motion of joints and muscles.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How does stretching help the back heal?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Regular stretching lengthens the muscle tissue, improves blood flow throughout the body, and speeds ...
How should I stretch the muscles on the bottom of my feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
To stretch the muscles on the bottom of your feet: Stand with feet together. Step back with your l...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?