Why should I include flexibility techniques in my exercise program?

Using evidence-based research and clinical evidence, I have seen that a combination of flexibility techniques (foam rolling, static stretching, muscle activation, and dynamic stretching) can keep the body in alignment, creating balance. When muscles are balanced around joints, joints can move optimally, keeping the movement chain intact. I have seen numerous professional athletes, recreational athletes, and gym-goers benefit from incorporating flexibility into their workout routines. Just remember that flexibility (keeping muscles at their proper lengths) is one part of a program and must work with the proper strengthening techniques to make the most difference.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What is the bowstring stretch?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In the bowstring stretch, you pull on a resistive band to simulate the motion of pulling back a ...
What stretches should I add to prevent muscle soreness after my workout?
It would be wise to stretch each major lower body muscle group after a workout (hip flexor, calf, ad...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?