Why should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?

The IT band stretch is great, especially if you’re runner. The IT band runs from the top of the thigh, and crosses the knee to attach on the inside of the lower leg. Often, the IT band becomes tight from running OR walking. Not addressed, this leads to altered movement, which can later lead to pain, discomfort, or even injury.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The iliotibial band (ITB) stretch exercise helps stretch the ITB and possibly the tensor fascia lata (TFL) and rectus femoris muscles if they're tight too. The ITB can also be stretched performing a TFL & Quadriceps Stretch.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How can I vary my flexibility exercise routine?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
All stretching is not the same. Static (no movement, long holds) stretching and Dynamic Flexibility ...
What is the difference between directed stretching and general stretching?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Directed stretching is specifically designed to isolate and loosen the offending muscle spasms a...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?