Why should I do the all-fours rocking stretch exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The all-fours rocking stretch exercise passively restores normal hip mechanics and feels great for the hips when performed properly. Move only in a pain-free range of motion. People with ankle problems can perform this stretch so their feet hang off the edge of a bed.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...
This exercise helps lengthen tight hip muscles. Tight hips are very common especially in people who sit for extended periods. Gaining flexibility in your hips may help reduce low-back pain and improve your body’s ability to move freely.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How do I do the assisted-forearm stretch exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The assisted-forearm stretch exercise restores normal range of motion to the pronators teres and qua...
How do I do the shoulder internal-rotators stretch?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The shoulder internal-rotator stretch exercise helps stretch the teres major, an internal rotator of...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?