Why should I do the all-fours rocking stretch exercise?

This exercise helps lengthen tight hip muscles. Tight hips are very common especially in people who sit for extended periods. Gaining flexibility in your hips may help reduce low-back pain and improve your body’s ability to move freely.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The all-fours rocking stretch exercise passively restores normal hip mechanics and feels great for the hips when performed properly. Move only in a pain-free range of motion. People with ankle problems can perform this stretch so their feet hang off the edge of a bed.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What is an effective stretch for tight hips?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
In general, tight hips tend to be tight in the front (hip flexor/ illiopsoas). This can be due to si...
Can static stretching make my muscles long and lean?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Long, lean muscles are dependent upon your genetics. Long muscles are due to short tendons (the ...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?