What muscles should I stretch before and after a basketball game?

Basketball players are prone to tight calves, hips, and lats (latissimus dorsi).  Start your flexibility program by applying a foam roll (a self-massage technique used to alleviate knots in your muscles) to the tender areas in your calves, side of your thighs, and upper back.  Hold each tender area for at least 30 seconds, or until the tension subsides.  After foam rolling, perform a chest stretch using a doorway, a kneeling hip flexor stretch, and a standing calf stretch.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

Are there any other forms of flexibility training besides just stretching?
Yes, self-massage is another form of flexibility that feels much different than stretching. Self-mas...
How long should I hold each stretch?
This depends on the type of stretch you are performing. For static stretches, hold each stretch ...
How can I vary my flexibility exercise routine?
Flexibility training includes various forms of stretching to improve joint range of motion and muscl...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?