Are there types of massage I can do myself to help improve my flexibility?

Yes, self-massage (using a foam roll) can be done on your own. A foam roll is a tool to used to apply self-massage to varies muscles in the body. Place your body weight on the foam roll and move slowly up and down on a muscle, searching for tender areas or "knots" in the muscle. Once you find a tender area, stop and hold the pressure for 30 seconds. The pressure will cause the nervous system to send signals to the muscles causing them to relax. The cummulative benefits of self-massage include greater relaxation, a decrease in knots in your muscles, a decrease in tension, and an increase in blood supply to help flush out toxins. The premise is the same as a getting a deep-tissue sports massage, although the foam roll cannot penetrate as deeply as a well-trained massage therapist.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How do I stretch my biceps?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To stretch your biceps, lie on your back with elbow extended and rotate your forearm so the palm of ...
What is active-isolated stretching?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) is one of the methods of stretching most used by today's athletes,...
How can I increase flexibility in my lower back?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The joint structures of the lumbar vertebrae in the lower back allow for very limited side bendi...
What is dynamic flexibility?
Dynamic stretching utilizes both force and momentum to move through the full range of motion of ...