What is the purpose of the latissimus dorsi stretch exercise?

The latissimus dorsi is the major muscle of the back involved in arm extension and internal rotation of the arm. Any pulling movement such as rows, pull-ups, etc. will involve the latissimus dorsi. In most peoples daily life, activities like driving, sitting at a desk can cause the latissimus dorsi to become tightened and shortened which impairs movement of the arm at the shoulder. Stretching this muscle can restore muscle balance and improve performance.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The latissimus dorsi stretch exercise restores the latissimus dorsi to its normal length. This muscle originates in the lower back and inserts into the upper arm. When tight, it can alter mechanics of the back, arm, and scapula (also known as the shoulder blade). Normal shoulder range of motion is 170 - 180 degrees of flexion.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How often should I do flexibility exercises?
JC Pinzon JC Pinzon
Flexibility exercises should be done every day. Stretching major muscle groups is paramount to stay ...
How do I do the TFL (tensor fascia lata) and quadriceps stretch?
PreparationKneel with front leg bent at a 90-degree angle.Externally rotate back leg.MovementDraw ...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?