What determines how long I should be holding a stretch?

According to research, stretches used to increase joint range of motion, such as static stretches, should be held for roughly 30 seconds or more. This gives the muscles enough time to relax and elongate. If you're over 65 years of age, research has shown stretches that are held for 60 seconds are most beneficial for improved range of motion and flexibility.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How often should I do flexibility exercises?
JC Pinzon JC Pinzon
Flexibility exercises should be done every day. Stretching major muscle groups is paramount to stay ...
What devices can be used to measure flexibility?
For the trunk and lower extremity the most common ways to measure flexibilty are using a sit and...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?