What is the chest stretch exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The chest stretch exercise stretches the pectoralis major (one of the chest muscles), which originates from the clavicle (collarbone), sternum, and ribs to attach to the inner part of the upper arm. You should be able to rest your arm at 90 - 120 degrees of abduction and external rotation when doing the chest stretch.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...
There are several effective exercises to stretch the chest. One particularly effective chest stretch is the wall stretch. Stand next to a wall or piece of equipment with your arm bent at a 90 degree angle holding to the edge of wall. With your arm bent at 90 degrees hold on to the wall and walk forward a few steps until you feel a stretch in the chest, hold for 30 seconds repeat on the other side.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Why is stretching important?
Jenny Shepherd , NASM Elite TrainerJenny Shepherd , NASM Elite Trainer
Stretching is a key component to any exercise program. Stretching not only improves the flexibility ...
How flexible am I?
Flexibility is like real estate - it all depends on location. Some may be able to twist their necks ...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?