What should I avoid when doing the assisted-forearm stretch?

The assisted-forearm stretches is a series of flexibility exercises designed to lengthen the muscles of the forearm and to increase range of motion of the wrist and elbow. The assistance portion of the stretch is done by having the opposite hand push the stretch a little further. You must take caution though when performing these assisted stretches. It is easy to over stretching these muscles, which can lead to internal joint damage at the wrist or elbow and may even cause small muscle damage. Overstretching can also stimulate sensory fibers and actually reverse the effects of stretching.

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Common errors when doing the assisted-forearm stretch (exercise restores normal range of motion to the pronators teres and quadrates and supinator muscles of the forearm):

• Twisting the wrist or upper forearm portion of the forearm too aggressively can cause pain.
  • Holding the wrist portion too close to the hand can cause pain.
  • Squeezing the forearm too tightly while rotating causes pain.
  • Allowing the shoulder to lose its ideal position reduces the stretch.
  • The upper arm often will slide out or in during the stretches. In order to get the maximum stretch, don't let it move.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What are the benefits of being flexible?
Being flexible means that your joints are able to move freely throughout their full range of mot...
What muscles should I stretch before and after a basketball game?
Mike Elliott Mike Elliott
Pre and post competition stretching should be a part of every basketball player's routine.  The foam...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?