What are some warm-up and cool-down exercises?

NASM recommends to incorporate self myofascial release and stretching as part of a warm-up. Many people believe a warm-up should be 5-10 minutes of running on a treadmill or on a bicycle. However, self myofascial release and stretching can align tissue and prevent injury during your exercise routine. In addition, using self myofascial release and stretching as a cool-down will allow muscles to return to their resting length and allow metabolites and excess blow to leave the muscle tissue.

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Warm-up and cool-down exercises usually don't use weights, but rely more on light calisthenics. Walking at a slow pace with longer strides is always good as either part of the warm-up or cool-down routine. Stretching exercises might be useful as part of a warm-up set or to cool down at the completion of your exercise routine.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What should I avoid when doing the assisted-forearm stretch?
The assisted-forearm stretches is a series of flexibility exercises designed to lengthen the muscles...
How should I do a calf muscle stretch?
To do a calf muscle stretch, follow these steps: Face a wall with one leg in front of the other ...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?