What are some warm-up and cool-down exercises?

NASM recommends to incorporate self myofascial release and stretching as part of a warm-up. Many people believe a warm-up should be 5-10 minutes of running on a treadmill or on a bicycle. However, self myofascial release and stretching can align tissue and prevent injury during your exercise routine. In addition, using self myofascial release and stretching as a cool-down will allow muscles to return to their resting length and allow metabolites and excess blow to leave the muscle tissue.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How can stretching help with physical health?
Tom Campion Tom Campion
With many people spending time in office-related jobs, stretching, or flexibility training, has beco...
What is an effective stretch for tight hips?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
In general, tight hips tend to be tight in the front (hip flexor/ illiopsoas). This can be due to si...
I want to start stretching. How long should I hold the stretched position?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
There are different types of stretching and flexibility techniques out there. The one most people as...
What devices can be used to measure flexibility?
For the trunk and lower extremity the most common ways to measure flexibilty are using a sit and...