What are the benefits of stretching?

Stretching regularly provides many benefits such as; improved posture, corrected muscle imbalances and prevention of future muscle imbalances, increased joint range of motion, decreased muscle tension and joint pain, reduced risk of injury, enhanced strength, and improved overall function. For athletes, a good stretching program can also help enhance athletic performance.
Stretching will help you become more flexible, keep your body in proper posture, decrease pain in the muscles and joints, enhance coordination and reduce stress.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How can I make my shoulders more flexible?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Our shoulders are a very unique joint in the body.  The shoulder sacrifices stability for mobility, ...
How should I stretch the muscles on the bottom of my feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
To stretch the muscles on the bottom of your feet: Stand with feet together. Step back with your l...
Does stretching decrease the chance of getting injured?
Yes, in most cases. If there is an imbalance in flexibility between muscle groups, research has show...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?