What are the benefits of stretching?

Stretching can give you longer, looser muscles and increase your range of motion. It also conditions your muscles and improves your balance. The bonus is that stretching just plain feels good!

Here are the basics of stretching:
  • Why? To build flexibility and balance.
  • How often? At the end of every exercise session.
  • How long? Five to 10 minutes.
  • How hard? Intensity should feel low.

In addition to reduced risk of injury, a benefit of stretching is the release of lactic acid in the muscles the day after a tough workout. Releasing the lactic acid will allow for healing in the muscles to take place and for greater performance in the next workout. 

Keeping your body flexible is vital to staying young. Stretching is best when muscles are warm, which is why stretching after a hot shower is so effective. Stretching improves posture and prevents muscle soreness, keeping you feeling young and healthy. Try this stretch:

Trunk Twist: Reach hands up in the air and then slowly bend forward to the right, and then all the way around. Repeat in the opposite direction.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Stretching regularly provides many benefits such as; improved posture, corrected muscle imbalances and prevention of future muscle imbalances, increased joint range of motion, decreased muscle tension and joint pain, reduced risk of injury, enhanced strength, and improved overall function. For athletes, a good stretching program can also help enhance athletic performance.
Stretching will help you become more flexible, keep your body in proper posture, decrease pain in the muscles and joints, enhance coordination and reduce stress.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What are some different types of flexibility training?
Different types of flexibility training include correcive flexibility, active flexibility, and funct...
What are some warm-up and cool-down exercises?
NASM recommends to incorporate self myofascial release and stretching as part of a warm-up. Many peo...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?