What is active-isolated stretching?

Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) is one of the methods of stretching most used by today's athletes, massage therapists, personal/athletic trainers, and professionals. Active Isolated Stretching allows the body to repair itself and also to prepare for daily activity. The Active Isolated Stretching technique involves the method of holding each stretch for only two seconds. This method of stretching is also known to work with the body's natural physiological makeup to improve circulation and increase the elasticity of muscle joints and fascia. There are several ways of learning about Active Isolated Stretching (AIS).

Performing an Active Isolated Stretch of no longer than 2.0 seconds allows the target muscles to optimally lengthen without triggering the protective stretch reflex and subsequent reciprocal antagonistic muscle contraction as the isolated muscle achieves a state of relaxation.  These stretches provide maximum benefit and can be accomplished without opposing tension or resulting trauma.
Active-isolated stretching involves the contraction of the opposing muscle(s) in order to increase the length of the stretched muscle. An example would be flexing the front of your thigh (the quadriceps) in order to stretch through the back of your thigh (the hamstring muscles). You don't hold active stretches for a long period of time (typical holds are 5-10 seconds).

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How often should I stretch?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
Stretching 3-6 days a week for a minimal amount of time can drastically improve mobility. Stretching...
How can I test flexibility in my middle back?
Sit on a physio or stability ball and hold a club across your chest. Rotate to the right trying ...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?