Recently, someone told me that I should not stretch my hamstrings, why?

Without seeing you it is hard to tell. Most people have lengthened hamstrings and stretching them makes them weaker. Here is a common scenario. Most people sit for many hours. This position can lead to tight hip flexors and weak glutes (butt). Over time, a forward tilted pelvis may develop leading to an arching of the low back. If this is the case, then the hamstrings become stretched from this position. This lengthened muscle will often do extra work for the weak glutes. As such, it gets fatigued and stressed. While it may feel good to stretch, it will actually make the problem worse. Stretching an already stretched muscle can seriously weaken it or lead to injury. In this case, stretching the hip flexors and strengthening the glutes will take the extra load off of the hamstrings.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?