How can stretching help with physical health?

Stretching will help decrease the risk of injury, and improve the way you move and perform in your daily life. If muscles are excessively tight and shortened, they cannot work properly and will be weak and under perform. In time this will cause the joints of your body not to move properly and this can lead to injury and movement issues. There are several different types of flexibility methods you can use, include static stretching where you hold a stretch for 30 seconds, self myofascial release where you foam roll tight areas for 30 seconds, and active and dynamic stretching where you actively move muscles through a full range of motion.  Using a combination of all these forms of flexibility will help you to get tight and weakened muscles back to a normal length, and will help decrease the risk of injury and improve the way you move, feel and use your muscles. 

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What should I avoid when doing the assisted-forearm stretch?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Common errors when doing the assisted-forearm stretch (exercise restores normal range of motion to t...
What types of flexibility are appropriate before recreational sports?
There are a few different flexibility techniques to help prepare the body for sport. Think of your p...
How do I stretch my latissimus dorsi muscle?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Lie on your back with knees bent so your lower back remains flat; this anchors one end of the latiss...