Is it possible to stretch too much before a track workout or competition?

The goals for warming up and stretching are to help the body compete better and diminish the chances of injuring a muscle in the process. Do more active, dynamic stretches such as leg swings, hurdle exchanges, etc. to loosen the muscles. Pulling and stretching excessively on the hamstrings and quadriceps while warming up will steal the elasticity and tension needed by the muscles for optimal performance. When an athlete tells a coach, "I don't know what what happened, my legs just felt flat," there is a possibility that they were over-trained or over-stretched prior to the competition.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What muscles should I stretch as a basketball player?
Everyone is a little different, but there are several muscles that have a tendency to get tight ...
What is the difference between directed stretching and general stretching?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Directed stretching is specifically designed to isolate and loosen the offending muscle spasms a...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?