Is it possible to stretch too much before a track workout or competition?

The goals for warming up and stretching are to help the body compete better and diminish the chances of injuring a muscle in the process. Do more active, dynamic stretches such as leg swings, hurdle exchanges, etc. to loosen the muscles. Pulling and stretching excessively on the hamstrings and quadriceps while warming up will steal the elasticity and tension needed by the muscles for optimal performance. When an athlete tells a coach, "I don't know what what happened, my legs just felt flat," there is a possibility that they were over-trained or over-stretched prior to the competition.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?