Should I perform my neck stretches before or after a workout?

It is a good idea to perform neck stretches both before and after your workout if you have tight neck muscles. Stretching your neck before your workouts may help release unwanted tension and improve range of motion in your neck and shoulders (because many neck muscles connect to your shoulders). Optimal range of motion in your neck and shoulders can reduce the risk of injury caused by stiff muscles. After your workout, stretching your neck will help ensure these muscles stay healthy and pliable. During your workout, shoulder and neck muscles are often stressed and required to contract forcefully. Stretching helps to reset these muscles back to their normal resting lengths.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What effect does flexibility training have on my basketball game skills?
Flexibility ensures that you maintain optimal mobility of all your joints.  This increases the bal...
How can I vary my flexibility exercise routine?
Flexibility training includes various forms of stretching to improve joint range of motion and muscl...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?