Is a once-a-week yoga class enough stretching?

Many muscles are stretched during a yoga class. However, performing a total-body stretching routine once a week is not a sufficient amount of stretching if the goal is to increase the length (extensibility) of chronically shortened muscles and improve movement quality. If you are inactive the other six days during the week your muscles and connective tissue (tendons, ligaments, and fascia) will tighten back up. You should strive to be active at least three days per week, including stretching, for optimal health and flexibility (joint range of motion).

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What is functional flexibility?
Functional flexibility is flexibility that utilizes a full range of motion. It involves foam rol...
What is flexibility training?
Flexibility training involves low-intensity exercises that increase the total range of motion of a j...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?