Is it important that I stretch my shoulder after my workouts?

It is very important to stretch your shoulders after a workout. During a workout, particularly strength training, your muscles are forced to contract forcefully which can cause them to become tight and stiff following your workout. If your muscles become too tight and stiff, this will limit your range of motion, which alters the way you move and puts stress on your joints. The combination of foam rolling (a self-massage technique that helps you alleviate knots in your muscles) and static stretching helps to relax your muscles, eases unwanted tension, and resets your muscles back to their proper resting lengths. Try foam rolling your latissimus dorsi and mid back by holding on each tender area for roughly 30 seconds. After foam rolling, static stretch your chest, latissimus dorsi, and posterior shoulder by holding each stretch for roughly 30 seconds.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What would help stiffness after sitting?
Garrett Shepherd , NASM Elite TrainerGarrett Shepherd , NASM Elite Trainer
Sitting can make you stiff!Surprisingly, something as relaxing as sitting can make you very stiff.  ...
How can I improve neck flexibility?
To maintain range of motion and improve flexibility in your neck, try the neck rotation exercise...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?