Is it important that I stretch my shoulder after my workouts?

It is very important to stretch your shoulders after a workout. During a workout, particularly strength training, your muscles are forced to contract forcefully which can cause them to become tight and stiff following your workout. If your muscles become too tight and stiff, this will limit your range of motion, which alters the way you move and puts stress on your joints. The combination of foam rolling (a self-massage technique that helps you alleviate knots in your muscles) and static stretching helps to relax your muscles, eases unwanted tension, and resets your muscles back to their proper resting lengths. Try foam rolling your latissimus dorsi and mid back by holding on each tender area for roughly 30 seconds. After foam rolling, static stretch your chest, latissimus dorsi, and posterior shoulder by holding each stretch for roughly 30 seconds.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?