How can I vary my flexibility exercise routine?

There's more than one way to boost your balance and flexibility. Simple stretches can do the trick when you are short on time. Adding light dumbbells while you stretch can boost the demand on your body if you are fit. Organized exercises such as Pilates, yoga, tai chi, and chi-gong (qigong) can help add interest and variety to your flexibility and balance workout. A session with a personal trainer may lead you to more exercises and equipment options for boosting your balance.

Flexibility training includes various forms of stretching to improve joint range of motion and muscle extensibility. Some common forms of flexibility training include static stretching (holding a stretched position for 20-30 seconds), massage, and dynamic stretching (e.g. arm circles, hip swings, jumping jacks).

The best flexibility training programs incorporate multiple forms of stretching to meet the needs of the individual. Each type of stretch creates different effects on the body, and can be used in combination to safely and effectively increase flexibility. Before your next workout start with some light static stretches and follow with dynamic stretching (3-5 exercises, 1 set, 10 reps).

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?