How should I stretch the muscles on the top of my feet?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

To stretch the muscles on the top of your feet:

1. Stand on a phone book, which should be placed on a non-slippery floor (like a carpet), with the balls of your feet near the edge so your toes extend into free space.
  2. Curl your toes slowly downward, as if you were trying to open the book. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds (or however long you can; you may need to build up to this). You should feel a pull on the top of your feet and toes.
  3. Step off the book. Now, working with one foot at a time, raise your heel and curl your toes under, pressing the tops of your toes against the floor. You should feel the muscles on the top of your feet and the front of your ankle gently stretch.
  4. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds.
  5. Repeat with the other foot.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Is a once-a-week yoga class enough stretching?
Many muscles are stretched during a yoga class. However, performing a total-body stretching routine ...
Are there any other forms of flexibility training besides just stretching?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Flexibility is the ability to have full active range of motion.  In general, we tend to keep the mot...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?