How should I do static stretching?

Static stretching requires you to hold a muscle in a lengthened position for thirty seconds. You should move slowly into a stretch, stopping at the point where you feel tension. If the stretch hurts, ease off and reduce the length of the stretch. After thirty seconds, the tension in the muscle being stretched should reduce, allowing for a greater range of motion in the muscle. This is a traditional form of flexibility used by many exercisers. Remember, while everyone needs a good stretch, not everyone should stretch the same muscles!

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What can I do for arch pain?
If you have arch pain, you should perform a combination of flexibility and strengthening techniques ...
How can I increase flexibility in my lower back?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The joint structures of the lumbar vertebrae in the lower back allow for very limited side bendi...
Does stretching decrease the chance of getting injured?
Yes, in most cases. If there is an imbalance in flexibility between muscle groups, research has show...
What should I avoid when doing the assisted-forearm stretch?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Common errors when doing the assisted-forearm stretch (exercise restores normal range of motion to t...