How should I do static stretching?

Static stretching requires you to hold a muscle in a lengthened position for thirty seconds. You should move slowly into a stretch, stopping at the point where you feel tension. If the stretch hurts, ease off and reduce the length of the stretch. After thirty seconds, the tension in the muscle being stretched should reduce, allowing for a greater range of motion in the muscle. This is a traditional form of flexibility used by many exercisers. Remember, while everyone needs a good stretch, not everyone should stretch the same muscles!

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Why should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?
The IT band stretch is great, especially if you’re runner. The IT band runs from the top of the ...
How can I train to improve my flexibility?
To improve your flexibility, you should perform both static and dynamic stretching. In the morning, ...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?