How do I perform the forearm rotational-stretching exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
To perform the forearm rotational-stretching exercise, place your shoulders in a biomechanically correct position (scapula at second thoracic vertebra [T2] and 3 inches from the spine). Hold a small weight (2 - 5 pounds) in one hand. Be sure your shoulder is stable and does not move during the exercise. Slowly rotate within the fullest range possible without experiencing pain. Visualize your forearm rotating instead of your hand and wrist twisting. Keep your hand at the same angle of rotation as the forearm. You may feel a stretch at the end. Hold the stretch for 15 - 30 seconds. Don't allow your upper arm bone to rotate; we only want the forearm to rotate. Stop at the end range of motion or if it is painful. Rotate into the opposite direction and maintain a pain-free stretch for 15 - 30 seconds. You can also try this while standing. Perform 3 - 5 repetitions.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

The forearm rotational stretching exercise helps to improve range of motion and tissue extensibility of your forearm. Stand upright with a tall posture and your shoulder blades slightly retracted. Hold light dumbbells in each arm (2-5 lbs). Rotate (pronate) your forearm (palm towards the floor) until a nice stretch is felt. Hold this position for 30-60 seconds to allow your tissues to elongate. Make sure to avoid stretching to the point of pain. Instead it should be a gentle stretch.

Next, rotate your forearm in the opposite direction (supination) and follow the same procedures.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How do I practice the forward stretch, or the head-to-knee pose?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Stand upright with your inner feet parallel and about six inches apart. Contract your front thigh mu...
Can massage help improve my flexibility?
Yes, massage can help improve flexibility. The major benefits of massage for the muscles include gre...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?