How long should I hold each stretch?

This depends on the type of stretch you are performing. For static stretches, hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds. Once you have held the stretch for around 7 seconds, try to relax a little deeper into the stretch without causing strain. For active stretches, you hold the stretch for 5-10 seconds each.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How can I stretch most effectively?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Stretching is a subject that has been getting more and more attention. There are different approache...
Recently, someone told me that I should not stretch my hamstrings, why?
Without seeing you it is hard to tell. Most people have lengthened hamstrings and stretching the...
How flexible am I?
Flexibility is like real estate - it all depends on location. Some may be able to twist their necks ...
Can inflexible hamstrings cause low back pain?
Yes, inflexible hamstrings may contribute to lower back pain.  The hamstring muscles attach to the...