How can I improve my flexibility so I can touch my toes?

Being able to touch your toes requires low back, hamstring, and calf flexibility. By statically stretching each of these 3-5 times per week you’ll slowly start to see improvements in your flexibility, and eventually be able to touch your toes. To statically stretch your hamstrings, lie on your back and pull lift your thigh so it is perpendicular to the ground. Now, slowly extend your knee, lifting your heel to the ceiling. You should feel a stretch in the back of your leg. Hold this for at least 30 seconds, and repeat 2 more times. Then, switch legs.

If you can’t touch your toes, more than likely you have tight hamstrings. It’s no wonder when we sit and drive all day. Yoga can help lengthen and elongate one’s muscles over time safely and effectively. When you begin a yoga practice, start by always bending your knees and bring your chest to your thighs before you think about straightening your legs. This helps the spine and pelvis move into proper alignment first, and then you can work through the breath to gradually open the backs of the legs safely.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Are there any other forms of flexibility training besides just stretching?
Yes, self-massage is another form of flexibility that feels much different than stretching. Self-mas...
How should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Here's how to do the iliotibial band (ITB) exercise, which helps stretch the ITB and possibly the te...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?