How should I do the iliotibial-band stretch exercise?

To stretch the iliotibial-band, find a wall that you can lean against. Leaning into the wall with your shoulder, adduct the leg you want to stretch behind your supporting leg until you feel the stretch. Hold this for a minimum of 30 seconds and repeat on the other side. Perform the stretch 2-3 times on each side.
Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

Here's how to do the iliotibial band (ITB) exercise, which helps stretch the ITB and possibly the tensor fascia lata (TFL) and rectus femoris muscles if they're tight too:

Lie on your stomach with both legs extended and knees, heels, and toes together. Slowly bend both legs keeping the knees, heels, and toes together. Do not allow the toes of one foot to rotate away from the other foot. Also do not allow your legs to drift to one side as you bend your knees; keep them centered. Bend your knees to 90-110 degrees, feeling for a stretch in the outer portion of the thigh or knee. Be sure your pelvis and lumbar spine remain stabilized and there is no back strain. Maintain the stretch for 30-60 seconds, then slowly lower your legs. Repeat 3-5 times.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What is static stretching?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Stretching has different forms but is more commonly associated with static stretching (i.e. hold...
What is dynamic flexibility?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Dynamic stretching consists of using a controlled speed and moving a muscle through its entire range...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?