How can I improve wrist flexibility?

To maintain range of motion and improve flexibility in your wrists, try the hand rotation exercise:

Start by grasping your right wrist with your left hand. Keep your right palm facing down.
  • Rotate your right hand clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.
  • Now, rotate your right hand counter-clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.
Change hands. Grasp your left wrist with your right hand.
  • Rotate your left hand clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.
  • Now, rotate your left hand counter-clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.

Throughout the day, it is important to continually stretch your wrist to prevent losing your flexibility. To become more flexible, you should use your good hand to bend and straighten the wrist in all directions. These directions include: bending, straightening, and side-to-side motions. These stretches should be repeated five times and held for 15 seconds or more 2-3 times a day. If you don’t see improvements within two weeks, you might wish to see a health care professional for evaluation and possibly further referral.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What are some different types of flexibility training?
Different types of flexibility training include correcive flexibility, active flexibility, and funct...
Why should I care about the flexibility of my body?
Susan Retzlaff, NASM Elite TrainerSusan Retzlaff, NASM Elite Trainer
When your body is more flexible you will have:More ROM (range of motion) which means you can move wi...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?