How can I improve wrist flexibility?

To maintain range of motion and improve flexibility in your wrists, try the hand rotation exercise:

Start by grasping your right wrist with your left hand. Keep your right palm facing down.
  • Rotate your right hand clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.
  • Now, rotate your right hand counter-clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.
Change hands. Grasp your left wrist with your right hand.
  • Rotate your left hand clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.
  • Now, rotate your left hand counter-clockwise. Repeat this 5 times.

Throughout the day, it is important to continually stretch your wrist to prevent losing your flexibility. To become more flexible, you should use your good hand to bend and straighten the wrist in all directions. These directions include: bending, straightening, and side-to-side motions. These stretches should be repeated five times and held for 15 seconds or more 2-3 times a day. If you don’t see improvements within two weeks, you might wish to see a health care professional for evaluation and possibly further referral.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

Can massage help improve my flexibility?
Yes, massage can help improve flexibility. The major benefits of massage for the muscles include gre...
How should I do hamstring stretches?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Tight hamstrings are a very common condition that is best alleviated by light daily stretching. ...
How do I practice the forward stretch, or the head-to-knee pose?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Stand upright with your inner feet parallel and about six inches apart. Contract your front thigh mu...
What kind of flexibility should I do in order to improve my heel stretch?
Flexibility in your hamstrings is necessary for performing a heel stretch and you should incorpo...