What kind of flexibility do I need to do for an around the world jump?

In order to do an around the world, you need to have flexibility in your back, hamstrings, and inner thigh. As you are in flight for your around the world, the first motion that you have to perform is a pike, which requires flexibility in your low back and hamstrings. Your low back flexibility will affect how far forward your can reach, or how much spinal flexion. During the pike as well as the straddled toe touch portion of the jump, you will need adequate flexibility in your hamstrings in order to execute the jump. Once you are in the toe touch portion of the jump, you will need optimal range of motion in your inner thighs. Flexibility and increased muscle length can be accomplished through two techniques: foam rolling and static stretching. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage where you apply gentle pressure to knots in your muscles. You will want to roll back and forth until you locate a tender area; this is where the knot is. Once you locate the knot, you should hold the pressure from your body on the area for 20 - 30 seconds in order to relax the area and make static stretching more effective. In static stretching, you have the opportunity to further elongate the muscles by holding the stretch for 20 - 30 seconds.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What are the benefits of stretching and flexibility exercises?
Flexibility training is a key component for all training programs and has several positive effects s...
What is corrective flexibility?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Corrective flexibility is bringing muscles back into proper length. With muscular imbalances, one se...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?