How much flexibility exercise should I do if I have a sedentary lifestyle?

Flexibility exercise is important to minimize the effects of a sedentary lifestyle.
  • Adults should do flexibility exercises at least two or three days each week to improve range of motion.
  • Each stretch should be held for 10-30 seconds to the point of tightness or slight discomfort.
  • Repeat each stretch two to four times, accumulating 60 seconds per stretch.
  • Static, dynamic, ballistic and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) stretches are all effective.
  • Flexibility exercise is most effective when the muscle is warm. Try light aerobic activity or a hot bath to warm the muscles before stretching.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?