How much flexibility exercise should I do if I have a sedentary lifestyle?

Flexibility exercise is important to minimize the effects of a sedentary lifestyle.
  • Adults should do flexibility exercises at least two or three days each week to improve range of motion.
  • Each stretch should be held for 10-30 seconds to the point of tightness or slight discomfort.
  • Repeat each stretch two to four times, accumulating 60 seconds per stretch.
  • Static, dynamic, ballistic and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) stretches are all effective.
  • Flexibility exercise is most effective when the muscle is warm. Try light aerobic activity or a hot bath to warm the muscles before stretching.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What is static stretching?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Stretching has different forms but is more commonly associated with static stretching (i.e. hold...
What stretch can I do to loosen up my lower back?
Loosening up the lower back can sometimes seem almost impossible. Sometimes though, to stretch the l...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?