What is an effective stretch for tight hips?

There are many effective stretches for tight hips- which one is most effective for you depends on where you are feeling tight. Two great stretches for the hips that can be effective at reducing tightness for the majority of the population are the kneeling front of hip stretch and the inner thigh stretch. Due to the fact that most people spend prolonged amounts of time sitting, the hip muscles that flex your hips usually become very tight. This results in a decreased ability for the butt muscles to work effectively. When the butt muscles cannot work effectively, the body adapts by forcing other muscles to pick up the slack. One of the muscles that gets forced to work harder is an inner thigh muscle called the adductor magnus. The adductor magnus is a large muscle on the back and inside of the upper thigh. Not only can it cause hip tightness, but it can also cause lower back pain. If these two stretches do not offer some relief, then it is wise to seek out the assistance of a certified fitness professional to assess your movement which will help determine what other muscles may be contributing to your hip tightness. Perform the kneeling hip flexor stretch by following the technique described below. Kneel on one leg and position the opposite leg in front with the knee bent to a 90-degree angle. Next, squeeze your butt muscles and shift your body forward until a stretch is felt on the front of the pelvis. Hold  the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat for the opposite side. Perform the inner thigh stretch using the steps below. Standing to the side of a bench, place the same side foot up onto the bench with the other foot remaining on the floor and pointed straight ahead. Slightly bend the knee of the supporting leg and slowly bend the torso forward. Reach both hands down toward the floor until a stretch is felt in the upper, inner thigh of the leg that is up on the bench. Hold for 30 seconds, switch sides and repeat.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?