What are some different types of flexibility training?

Different types of flexibility training include correcive flexibility, active flexibility, and functional flexibility.  Corrective flexibility, as the name implies, uses a combination of foam rolling and static stretching to correct faulty posture and muscle imbalances.  Corrective flexibility techniques are very passive and involve little, if any, movement.  A progression from corrective flexibility, active flexibility uses a combination of foam rolling and active-isolated stretching to help prepare specific parts of the body for exercise and activity.  Active flexibility techniques are more active in nature than corrective flexibility techniques as they involve movement that is isolated to one or two joints at a time.  This takes more control than static stretching, the technique used in corrective flexibility, which is why it is viewed as a progression.  Lastly, a progression from active flexibility,  dynamic (functional) flexibility uses a combination of foam rolling and dynamic stretching to prepare the entire body for physical activity.  Dynamic stretching usually involves larger movements at multiple joints simultaneously, requiring excellent total-body control and awareness.  This requires much more control than active-isolated stretching, the technique used in active flexibility which is why it is viewed as a progression.  Ultimately, the goal of a flexibility program is to get to the point where dynamic flexibility training is all that your body requires prior to physical activity.  

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How can I improve neck flexibility?
To maintain range of motion and improve flexibility in your neck, try the neck rotation exercise...
How should I do static stretching?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Static stretching requires you to hold a muscle in a lengthened position for thirty seconds. You...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?