What are some different types of flexibility training?

Different types of flexibility training include correcive flexibility, active flexibility, and functional flexibility.  Corrective flexibility, as the name implies, uses a combination of foam rolling and static stretching to correct faulty posture and muscle imbalances.  Corrective flexibility techniques are very passive and involve little, if any, movement.  A progression from corrective flexibility, active flexibility uses a combination of foam rolling and active-isolated stretching to help prepare specific parts of the body for exercise and activity.  Active flexibility techniques are more active in nature than corrective flexibility techniques as they involve movement that is isolated to one or two joints at a time.  This takes more control than static stretching, the technique used in corrective flexibility, which is why it is viewed as a progression.  Lastly, a progression from active flexibility,  dynamic (functional) flexibility uses a combination of foam rolling and dynamic stretching to prepare the entire body for physical activity.  Dynamic stretching usually involves larger movements at multiple joints simultaneously, requiring excellent total-body control and awareness.  This requires much more control than active-isolated stretching, the technique used in active flexibility which is why it is viewed as a progression.  Ultimately, the goal of a flexibility program is to get to the point where dynamic flexibility training is all that your body requires prior to physical activity.  

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

How often should I stretch?
Stretching is one activity that you can (and should) do every day of the week! Aim to spend at l...
Should I stretch before or after my warm-up?
Stretching prior to your cardiorespiratory warm-up is recommended especially if most of your day is ...
How should I stretch the muscles on the top of my feet?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
To stretch the muscles on the top of your feet:Stand on a phone book, which should be placed on a ...
What stretch can I do to loosen up my lower back?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
Pelvic tilts: Laying on your back with knees bent - rock your pelvis back - flattening your back aga...