Can stretching actually benefit my performance?

Yes, a consistent stretching program can improve sports performance, especially for athletes who have tight and stiff muscles and joints. Static stretching (holding a stretch for 30 seconds) will help improve joint range of motion, unwanted stress on your joints, and even psychologically prepare you for activity. Another form of stretching is called dynamic stretching. This form of stretching is good for individuals and athletes who need to warm-up prior to exercise or sports competition. This form of stretching can be performed on its own (if the indivdual does not have tight/stiff muscles) or after completing a series of static stretches. Dynamic stretches are low-intensity exercises that mimic the type of movements an individual may perform during their workout or sporting event. These stretches help increase circulation, reduce muscle tightness, and help your nervous system's ability to contract muscles forcefully. Examples dynamic stretches include: prisoner squats, walking lunges with rotation, and hip swings.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
What is active-isolated stretching?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) is one of the methods of stretching most used by today's athletes,...
What is the difference between directed stretching and general stretching?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Directed stretching is specifically designed to isolate and loosen the offending muscle spasms a...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?