What’s the best way to get flexible through exercise?

You would think that stretching would be the best way to achieve and maintain flexibility. Warming up your body first with some moderate level of aerobic fitness like walking, light jogging, jumping rope, and then stretching individual areas of the body gently, is currently is considered the best way to maintain flexibility. However, new research suggests that resistance training with weights may be better than stationary or static stretching if you are trying to get flexible.

Experts suggest trying different methods in combination such as Pilates, yoga, weight training, and active stretching to achieve sustained flexibility.

The best way to get flexible through exercise will be to practice your flexibility and be sure it has a big part in your routines.  Be sure to warm-up and cool-down before and after exercise to increase flexibility.  When we exercise, our muscles tighten up, being sure to keep these muscle loose both before and after exercise will assist in flexibility.  In addition, focus on making one to two of those days strictly flexibility days and take a class such as yoga.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
How much flexibility exercise should I do if I have a sedentary lifestyle?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Flexibility exercise is important to minimize the effects of a sedentary lifestyle. Adults shoul...
Why should I do static stretching with muscle activation?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Static stretching must be done in combination with muscle activation to help balance the muscles...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?