What is the best way to cool-down after exercise?

A cool-down provides the body with a smooth transition from exercise back to a steady state of rest. An effective way to cool-down after exercise is to perform 5-10 minutes of low-intensity activity such as cardio or flexibility exercises including foam rolling (a self-massage technique used to alleviate knots in your muscles) and static stretching. Low intensity cardio will help to bring down the body's heart rate to a more rested level after the workout and may help to flush out metabolic waste products in the muscles. Foam rolling and static stretching can be beneficial as well because it will help to reduce some of the tension that was created in the muscles during the workout as well as help to prevent any muscle imbalances from developing.

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

What You Can Do to Protect Your Metabolic Flexibility
You already know that sitting too much is one of the worst things you can do to your health. Around 50 million of you are profoundly sedentary. Sittin...
Can inflexible hamstrings cause low back pain?
Yes, inflexible hamstrings may contribute to lower back pain.  The hamstring muscles attach to the...
Can stretching actually benefit my performance?
Yes, a consistent stretching program can improve sports performance, especially for athletes who hav...
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?