What are the health benefits of flaxseed?

Amaris Noguera

Flaxseed (oil or ground) can help prevent heart disease or can promote heart health due to the ALA omega-3 fatty acids flaxseeds contain. While not as rich a source of the widely studied EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fish, flaxseed can still be part of a healthy, balanced diet. These omega-3's in flaxseed have an anti-inflammatory effect in our bodies. Flaxseeds are also a decent source of manganese, and just 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed provides roughly 20% of your daily dietary fiber needs, which can also play a role in controlling cholesterol levels and promoting heart health.

Flaxseed oil might be a good treatment option for adults and children over age 12 who have gastrointestinal conditions such as constipation or irritable bowel syndrome.
Toby Smithson

Omega-3 fatty acids can help lower your risk of heart disease and stroke, as well as reduce the risk for a heart attack in people with diabetes.

One of the types of Omega 3s is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). ALA is produced by leafy green vegetables and can be converted into EPA and DHA by the body. A rich source of ALA is flaxseed, flaxseed oil, canola oil, walnuts, and walnut oil. Flaxseed contains three beneficial elements which include Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and phytochemical lignans (plant chemicals that are helpful in the prevention of chronic diseases). Flaxseed is a great option for those who do not like fish, or are looking for alternative food choices to lower their risk for heart disease.

Julieanna Hever, RD

Flaxseed is one of the unsung heroes of the nutrition world. In this video, dietitian Julieanna Hever explains why more people should add it to their diets.

Continue Learning about Flaxseed Oil

Should I tell my doctor I am taking flaxseed oil?
As with any nutritional supplement, it is a good idea to tell your doctor you are taking flaxsee...
Can flaxseed cure eczema?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Studies show the omega-3 fatty acids in flax seed help soothe skin conditions like eczema. That is b...
What is the nutritional value of flaxseeds?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Flaxseeds are an excellent source of the omega-3 essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), as...
What Are the Health Benefits of Flaxseed?