Who should not use flaxseed?

People with bowel disorders should avoid flax seed in crushed or powdered form because it acts as a laxative; they can try the oil if they are interested in this supplement. Because flax seed reduces swelling, it can slow the formation of blood clots and increase bleeding, so people taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin or herbal remedies like ginko biloba should consult a doctor before trying flax seed. Flax seed also can mimic the effects of estrogen, so women with health problems related to a hormonal imbalance, such as endometriosis, should be cautious. It is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.

Continue Learning about Flaxseed Oil

What are the health benefits of flaxseed?
Julieanna Hever, RDJulieanna Hever, RD
Flaxseed is one of the unsung heroes of the nutrition world. In this video, dietitian Julieanna Heve...
What drugs and foods interact with flaxseed oil supplements?
Foods are not known to interact with flaxseed oil supplements, but several medications may. Flax...
Should I tell my doctor I am taking flaxseed oil?
As with any nutritional supplement, it is a good idea to tell your doctor you are taking flaxsee...
What Are the Health Benefits of Flaxseed?