How can I get the benefits of flaxseed oil?

You can get the benefits of flaxseed oil either by eating flaxseeds (which can be purchased whole, crushed, or ground and consumed in drinks, sprinkled on salads and cereal, or baked into bread and desserts) or by taking a flaxseed oil supplement in liquid or capsule form. Be sure to follow all instructions and warnings on the flaxseed product you purchase. Drink 8 ounces of water for every tablespoon of flaxseed to avoid blockage of your esophagus or intestines. Other medications should be taken at least one hour before or two hours after taking flaxseed oil. If taking flaxseed oil as a laxative, do not take for longer than one week. You may continue this supplement on a daily basis for treatment of high cholesterol, but taking flaxseed oil for longer than three months may increase your risk of side effects due to low potassium levels.
Amaris Noguera

Since flaxseed contains very vulnerable nutrients such as Omega-3 fatty acids, it's best to purchase whole flaxseed and grind yourself in batches to avoid your flaxseed from becoming rancid before you consume it. Whole flaxseed can be ground easily in a home coffee bean grinder and added to your everyday meals such as yogurt, cold or hot cereal, homemade bread, smoothies, juices, etc. Be sure to store ground flaxseed in the refrigerator to preserve freshness. For flaxseed oil, again look for flaxseed oil in the refrigerated section versus the shelf-stable varieties which will have lost valuable nutrients. Opt for oil stored in opaque bottles, and store in the refrigerator once home.

Continue Learning about Flaxseed Oil

Should I tell my doctor I am taking flaxseed oil?
As with any nutritional supplement, it is a good idea to tell your doctor you are taking flaxsee...
What is the maximum recommended daily dosage for flaxseed oil?
The recommended daily dosage of flaxseed oil varies based on age and health. Ask your doctor wha...
Can flaxseed help my complexion?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
If you're eating a low-fat diet, flax seed can boost the essential fatty acids the body needs to pro...
What Are the Health Benefits of Flaxseed?