How does flax seed work?

Toby Smithson
Omega-3 fatty acids can help lower your risk of heart disease and stroke, as well as reduce the risk for a heart attack in people with diabetes.

One of the types of Omega 3s is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). ALA is produced by leafy green vegetables and can be converted into EPA and DHA by the body. A rich source of ALA is flaxseed, flaxseed oil, canola oil, walnuts, and walnut oil. Flaxseed contains three beneficial elements which include Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and phytochemical lignans (plant chemicals that are helpful in the prevention of chronic diseases). Flaxseed is a great option for those who do not like fish, or are looking for alternative food choices to lower their risk for heart disease.

Continue Learning about Flaxseed Oil

What are the health benefits of flaxseed?
Amaris NogueraAmaris Noguera
Flaxseed (oil or ground) can help prevent heart disease or can promote heart health due to the ALA o...
How should I grind flax seed?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
To get the full benefit of flaxseed, you should grind it. You can purchase ground flaxseed in the he...
How can I get the benefits of flaxseed oil?
You can get the benefits of flaxseed oil either by eating flaxseeds (which can be purchased whol...
What are the other names for flaxseed oil supplements?
On the label, flaxseed oil supplements may contain the Latin name of the flax plant, Linum usita...