How should I grind flax seed?

Toby Smithson

If you buy the whole flaxseed, remember to grind it up in a coffee grinder or blender before you use it. The whole flaxseed will provide a good fiber source, but the helpful Omega 3 fatty acids are not able to be processed by the body in this state. You can grind the flaxseed as you need it and store the whole flaxseeds in your refrigerator to keep fresh.

Marisa Moore

To get the full benefit of flaxseed, you should grind it. You can purchase ground flaxseed in the health food section of the supermarket. It's often labelled as "milled" flaxseed.  If you purchase whole flaxseeds, grind them using a coffee grinder or small food processor.  Grind to the consistency of cornmeal or coarse flour.  Refrigerate after grinding.

Continue Learning about Flaxseed Oil

What are side effects of flaxseed oil supplements?
Side effects of flaxseed oil include: bloating, diarrhea, gas, nausea, stomach pain, and anal l...
Can flaxseed help my complexion?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
If you're eating a low-fat diet, flax seed can boost the essential fatty acids the body needs to pro...
Can flaxseed cure eczema?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Studies show the omega-3 fatty acids in flax seed help soothe skin conditions like eczema. That is b...
What Are the Health Benefits of Flaxseed?