How should I grind flax seed?

Toby Smithson

If you buy the whole flaxseed, remember to grind it up in a coffee grinder or blender before you use it. The whole flaxseed will provide a good fiber source, but the helpful Omega 3 fatty acids are not able to be processed by the body in this state. You can grind the flaxseed as you need it and store the whole flaxseeds in your refrigerator to keep fresh.

Marisa Moore

To get the full benefit of flaxseed, you should grind it. You can purchase ground flaxseed in the health food section of the supermarket. It's often labelled as "milled" flaxseed.  If you purchase whole flaxseeds, grind them using a coffee grinder or small food processor.  Grind to the consistency of cornmeal or coarse flour.  Refrigerate after grinding.

Continue Learning about Flaxseed Oil

What are the other names for flaxseed oil supplements?
On the label, flaxseed oil supplements may contain the Latin name of the flax plant, Linum usita...
Should I tell my doctor I am taking flaxseed oil?
As with any nutritional supplement, it is a good idea to tell your doctor you are taking flaxsee...
What are side effects of flaxseed oil supplements?
Side effects of flaxseed oil include: bloating, diarrhea, gas, nausea, stomach pain, and anal l...
What Are the Health Benefits of Flaxseed?