Should I talk to my doctor about my flat feet symptoms?

If you or your child has flat feet but no symptoms, you may want to talk to your doctor so they can monitor your condition, but it's not necessary.

If you or your child does have pain or swelling, talk to your doctor. They will likely be able to help ease the discomfort by prescribing physical therapy, pain medicine, or orthotic devices. They may also want you to do some stretching exercises or limit physical activity for a while to remove pressure from your feet.

If your pain is coming from a tear or from fused bones in your feet, your doctor may determine that you need surgery.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

Can flat feet be prevented?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Children usually inherit flat feet, so they cannot be prevented. However, adults can be at increased...
More Answers
How are flat feet in children treated?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
In some cases, surgery is needed to relieve flat feet symptoms in children and improve foot function...
More Answers
What types of surgery can treat posterior tibial tendon dysfunction?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
If your symptoms of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction persist or your condition is advanced, s...
More Answers
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.