Should I talk to my doctor about my flat feet symptoms?

If you or your child has flat feet but no symptoms, you may want to talk to your doctor so they can monitor your condition, but it's not necessary.

If you or your child does have pain or swelling, talk to your doctor. They will likely be able to help ease the discomfort by prescribing physical therapy, pain medicine, or orthotic devices. They may also want you to do some stretching exercises or limit physical activity for a while to remove pressure from your feet.

If your pain is coming from a tear or from fused bones in your feet, your doctor may determine that you need surgery.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

How are rigid flat feet treated?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If the rigid flat foot is painless and doesn't interfere with walking, no treatment is required....
What are the stages of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
The four stages of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction include: Stage I: Inflammation and degener...
What are the symptoms of flat feet?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
If you have flat feet, the entire sole of your foot touches the ground when you stand or walk. Your ...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain