Should I talk to my doctor about my flat feet symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you or your child has flat feet but no symptoms, you may want to talk to your doctor so they can monitor your condition, but it's not necessary.

If you or your child does have pain or swelling, talk to your doctor. They will likely be able to help ease the discomfort by prescribing physical therapy, pain medicine, or orthotic devices. They may also want you to do some stretching exercises or limit physical activity for a while to remove pressure from your feet.

If your pain is coming from a tear or from fused bones in your feet, your doctor may determine that you need surgery.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

What are the disadvantages of having flat feet?
Dr. Grant Cooper, MDDr. Grant Cooper, MD
If you have a flat foot, you will not have the benefit of a proper foot arch to redistribute your bo...
What are flat feet?
Flat feet occur when the inside arch of the foot is flattened. If you have flat feet, your whole fee...
How can I get relief from pain caused by flat feet?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
If you have flat feet, try to avoid flat soled shoes such as sandals and flats. Over the counter ins...
What type of shoe is best for foot disorders like flat foot?
Dr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNDr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
You want to find a shoe that fits your foot well and provides the support that your foot needs. This...