How are flat feet in children treated?

In some cases, surgery is needed to relieve flat feet symptoms in children and improve foot function. The exact procedure will depend on the child and his or her type of flat feet.

For most cases, nonsurgical approaches are best, often starting with activity modification. This could mean cutting down on time playing sports or avoiding prolonged periods of standing.

To help children with their daily activities, a wide range of orthotic accessories—such as shoe inserts—are available. Your doctor can also recommend styles and brands of shoes that can help ease flat feet. In some cases, custom orthotic devices can be created that support the structure of the foot and improve function.

Ongoing support measures can include physical therapy, where children can work with a therapist on stretching exercises that provide relief for flat feet. Certain medications, ranging from ibuprofen to prescription medications, can also reduce pain and inflammation.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

What type of shoe is best for foot disorders like flat foot?
Dr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNDr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
You want to find a shoe that fits your foot well and provides the support that your foot needs. This...
Should I talk to my doctor about my flat feet symptoms?
If you or your child has flat feet but no symptoms, you may want to talk to your doctor so they can ...
How is arch collapse diagnosed?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
In order to diagnose arch collapse, the doctor will ask about your symptoms and examine your foot, l...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain