How are flat feet in children diagnosed?

When you first have an appointment about your child's flat feet, the pediatric orthopedic surgeon will conduct a physical examination of the foot and will observe children standing, sitting and walking. These specialists are well versed in the bones and structure of children’s feet, and they know best how arches should develop and function.

If flat feet are present, the doctor will likely order an x-ray. Occasionally, additional imaging and tests are needed to determine the severity and details of the flat feet.

After diagnosis, treatment options can vary. Children with asymptomatic flat feet—when there’s no pain or difficulty walking—typically only need periodic checkups. Children with symptomatic flat feet, however, may need surgical intervention and additional care.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

What type of shoes should I wear if I have flexible flat feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If you have flexible flat feet, look for shoes with good arch supports or try an over-the-counte...
What type of shoe is best for foot disorders like flat foot?
Dr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNDr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
You want to find a shoe that fits your foot well and provides the support that your foot needs. This...
How are flat feet in children treated?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
In some cases, surgery is needed to relieve flat feet symptoms in children and improve foot function...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain