How are flat feet diagnosed?

In order to diagnose flat feet, the doctor will examine your foot to determine the source of your pain and may ask you to walk. He or she may look at your foot from behind to determine if your arches have fallen or there is a flatfoot deformity. An x-ray or MRI may be ordered to assess any changes that may have occurred as a result of your condition and other possible sources of your pain.

Your doctor can usually diagnose flat feet by asking you questions about your symptoms and doing a physical exam. They will likely observe your feet from various angles, while you are sitting still, standing, and walking. They may also check your ankles, knees, and upper legs because flat feet can affect various parts of the legs. Your doctor may also want to do an x-ray to confirm the diagnosis or learn about the cause or severity of the flat feet.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

What types of surgery can treat posterior tibial tendon dysfunction?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
If your symptoms of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction persist or your condition is advanced, s...
What are flat feet?
Dr. James P. Ioli, DPMDr. James P. Ioli, DPM
If the middle of your foot hurts, it may reflect a change in the structural integrity of your arch. ...
I have flat feet, is there any exercise that can help support my arches?
Flat feet can be a structural issue in which case exercises may not provide you any improvement. In ...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain