If I have flat feet is it important for me to stretch my calves?

Yes, tight calves can lead to flat feet by causing weakness in other muscles of the foot and ankle. Tight calves can also decrease ankle range of motion, forcing the body to find that range of motion somewhere else in the foot. This range of motion is many times found in the arch of the foot forcing the it to collapse (flat feet). Over time, this flattening of the foot can place stress on the plantar fascia and lead to inflmation (plantar fasciitis). Stretching the calves can help increase ankle range of motion, taking the stress off of the plantar fascia and decreasing the risk of injury.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

Are shoe inserts effective in treating posterior tibial tendon dysfunction?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
One study of 32 patients with stage II posterior tibial tendon dysfunction who were treated with...
What causes flat feet?
Very young children all have flat feet because the arches do not develop until later. In some childr...
How are flat feet in children treated?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
In some cases, surgery is needed to relieve flat feet symptoms in children and improve foot function...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain